So, in regards to our outreach in Gunnison on Saturday: it didn't really happen. Too bad.. because I was really excited. There was supposed to be this huge party in the park for some bike race, but when we showed up we tripled the amount of people there. We decided to get some food and wait for more to show up, but when we went back we still almost doubled the people in the park. The staff decided that we shouldn't continue with the planned outreach, which was the right decision, but a bummer nonetheless.
We were going to use Soularium, which is a spiritual picture survey that makes it pretty easy to explore a person's spiritual journey so far. This is a really cool tool that we used with Crusade on campus, but I was never able to actually do this ministry last year. We will have another opportunity to use soularium before we leave. This is also supposed to prepare us for ministry on our respective campuses next year. Check it out: http://mysoularium.com/
Our next outreach is planned for Friday, the day on which the "biggest party of the year" occurs, according to the head cheese at the chamber of commerce. The Fat Tire Bike Week is coming up soon, and mountain bikers from all over will be pouring into Crested Butte. I think we are going to help with any areas that need it (serving food, registration, etc.). We are praying that God is setting up some divine appointments for us and that we will be able to serve (and talk with) these bikers.
We had more training with evangelism today. I'm really enjoying all this and learning a lot, because I have never really done much evangelism or sharing of my story or my faith. I have been realizing more that I can't not share who God is to me and what He has done for me. I should be honored to share that with others, and should want them to know God like I do. This is still a bit daunting to me, but I am praying for boldness because I know that is what He calls us to do.
This morning we made separate lists of the needs and wants of Christians and non-Christians. When we reported to the group we found that, interestingly enough, they have very similar wants and needs. The list can be for both groups: love, acceptance, relationships, success, fun, purpose... and on and on. This shouldn't really surprise me, because God made all of us in His image, so we are going to have similar needs and wants. The difference should appear in looking at how the two groups satisfy those needs and wants. The point is to realize that I am more similar to an unbeliever than I might like to think. This is an important thought in evangelism because it shouldn't be an "us vs. them" mentality.
We should not go into evangelism thinking we should right their wrongs and turn their hearts around. It is out of our abilities to do that. And we should not begin with a checklist, thinking we know what the other person needs and trying to provide for those needs. It is about exploring who they are, where they are spiritually, and LISTENING. So often Christians can be focused on what they will say next, and are not really listening to the other person's story. But no one likes a half-hearted listener. And no unbeliever is going to appreciate "spiritual vomiting," as one of the staff put it. Although our goal and hope is that we can share the gospel with everyone, not everyone is going to be ready to (or want to) hear it.
God is doing great things here!! And in me!! Julia (my roommate) and I are memorizing Psalm 103 and 104 during the next several days. These chapters have come up a few times in the last few days--so cool. These are simply awesome and beautiful testimonies to who God is, and what He does. If you like Fernando Ortega, his song "Creation Song" is beautiful and comes from Psalm 104.
Love you all! Thanks for your continued prayers!
In awe of His power,
Sarah
Mark 16:15-- He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's all in God's plan, my dear. I know you were excited about Soularium, but there will be another time. Your blogs are interesting and I know you are learning alot. Say hello to all your "home" mates!! I miss you and love you lots and lots and lots!! Mom
ReplyDelete